Career Prospects - Media Informatics
Fit for Movies and Television
Buzzwords such as multimedia, information superhighway, and digital television accompany us on our way to the information society. Many companies, public authorities, and last but not least cultural institutions increasingly utilise the possibilities of digital media. Various working possibilities open up especially to those individuals who are familiar with the new media.
The media industry has undergone fundamental changes due to the use of computers and an increasingly rapid technology shift. Therefore the way the various media types are functioning is changing and media traditionally separated, such as text, sound, images, and motion pictures, continue to converge. The resulting multimedia generate a new quality of information processing and information transfer, and change the aesthetics of information. Media and communication are among the growth markets of today and tomorrow. Completely new occupations have already emerged due to multimedia; more are currently establishing themselves in the market.
New fields of activity
The occupational field for computer scientists with a focus on media informatics varies extremely. Computer scientists find employment where computers are used to create media products. In addition to traditional media fields, such as the press, movies, and television, new fields of activity emerged with the internet. In addition to software development, many software companies also offer their services for the creation of multimedia products. In your future professional life, you will carry out the following tasks:
- Development and/or implementation of the corporate design for the internet presentation of companies
- Conception and realisation of interactive web presences
- Establishment and/or expansion of multimedia databases, e.g. for online shopping
- Programming of interfaces (GUI) with authoring systems such as, for example, Director and Dreamweaver, or programming languages, such as Java, C++, or Visual Basic
- Implementation of computer graphics and animations with standard software such as Photoshop and Flash, but also with specialised, cost-intensive hardware and software for the movie industry
- Tasks in audio and video studio collaboration for complex computer based training (CBT) productions
- CBT productions in publishing as well as educational software for educational publishers
- Developments in the field of data transmission technology in industry and research, e.g. computer operations in medicine, image transmission via satellite or fiber optics cable
- Development of internet software
Flexibility and ability to work in a team
The study programme distinguishes itself through an interdisciplinary education in information technology, communications engineering, media design, media technology, and business & administration fields. The development of solid technical and business & administration expertise is indispensable in order to remain flexible and quickly employable in the fast-changing occupational market. In this process, the development of the ability to work in a team and of social skills is very important.